LL.B., D. Fisc., TEP
Michel Durand has more than 25 years of legal and tax experience. For several years, in parallel with his legal practice, where he served a client base composed mainly of small to medium-sized businesses, he worked as an editor for a publishing firm specialized in the popularization of legal, tax and financial literature. For the latter, Michel wrote or revised over 20 books that popularize legal, tax and financial topics, or participated in the writing of such books. Between 2007 and 2020, Michel successively joined the taxation services department of three prominent national and multinational accounting firms and one prominent Montreal law firm. Since March 2021, Michel acts, through LexTax Inc., a corporation of which he is the president, as of counsel to Levy Salis LLP.
Michel practices in estate and tax planning and corporate reorganizations as well as business acquisitions and sales. He is often called upon to provide advice with regards to the tax consequences of complex transactions. He also represents clients before the tax authorities in connection with administrative procedures regarding audits, objections or voluntary disclosures.
Michel excels in the management of complex mandates. He carries out his engagements with efficiency, and he is only satisfied when the goals set by his clients are met. His strength resides in his keen ability to identify operational and business weaknesses as well as to provide effective recommendations and sound advice.
Michel is a frequent speaker on tax matters at conferences and seminars. He has also authored or co-authored numerous articles and presentations on various tax topics. Michel has been teaching a course on fiscal relationships between corporations at the Association de planification fiscale et financière (« APFF ») each year since 2008.
BAR ADMISSIONS & AFFILIATIONS
- Québec Bar – since 1993
- Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) – since 2007
- Member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Canadian Bar Association (CBA) – since 2018
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF) – since 2007
- Cercle Fiduciaire de Montréal – since 2017
- International Fiscal Association (IFA) – since 2012
- Society of Trust and Estate Practioners (STEP) – since 2013
Université de Sherbrooke, D. Fisc., 2006
Université de Montréal, LL.M., 1995
Université de Montréal, LL.B., 1992
- APFF – Annual Convention Program Committee – Member – Since 2010
- STEP Montréal – Executive Committee – Member and Treasurer – since 2016
- APFF – Stratège Committee – Member – From 2008 to 2020
- Fondation du Barreau du Québec – Governor – Since 2013