Tax Lawyer / Notary
Montreal, QC, Canada | Posted on 09/02/2022
Position: Tax Lawyer or Notary
Job Type: Full-Time, Permanent
Location: Downtown Montreal, Quebec
Anticipated Start Date: Immediate
Levy Salis LLP is a dynamic, growing, and versatile law firm that specializes in Canadian and U.S. tax and estate planning as well as in U.S. real estate transactions for Canadians. We are looking for a mid-level lawyer or notary to join our ambitious, creative, collegial, and hardworking tax and estate planning team. Working out of our downtown Montreal office, you will be at the heart of a practice with an innovative approach to tax and estate planning.
Reporting to the partner and a senior lawyer in the tax group, you will be part of a team that are subject matter specialists who advise individuals and businesses on domestic and cross border tax and estate planning strategies. Our typical clients include highly successful business owners of all sizes, eminent professionals, Canadians moving to the United States, Americans moving to Canada, individuals holding cross border investments, and businesses with operations in both Canada and the United States. Being one of the few law firms in Canada which has both a dedicated Canadian practice and a dedicated cross border practice, this is a unique opportunity to work on stimulating and complex engagements with high net worth clients.
- Draft and implement tax and estate planning memorandum (i) on Canadian and S. tax- driven reorganizations for businesses and their owners, (ii) on Canadian and U.S. tax- driven reorganizations of the U.S. real estate holdings and U.S investments of Canadian individuals, (iii) the purchase and sale of Canadian and U.S. business, and (iv) post-mortem tax planning strategies for Canadians
- Advise on the Canadian and S. tax issues applicable to Canadian and U.S. transactions and purchase and sale of businesses
- Draft estate planning documents (wills, powers of attorney, trust agreements, )
- Create Canadian and S. corporate and partnership structures
- Draft M&A agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and other commercial contracts
- Research changes to Canadian and U.S. tax and estate planning laws
- Draft blog posts on Canadian and S. tax and estate planning topics
Skills, Qualities, and Qualifications:
- Member in good standing of the Quebec Bar or of the Chambre des Notaires du Québec
- 2 to 6 years of experience
- LL.M. in tax or In-Depth Tax Course offered by CPA Canada
- Marked interest for international tax and U.S. tax
- Bilingual: English and French, both written and spoken
- High-level legal writing skills
- Collegial character
Please submit your CV, a cover letter and university transcripts to email@example.com with the subject line: Application for Tax Lawyer/Notary Position.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted.